This year there are many Christmas Markets and Events being held across the region. We have included all the events we have information for as of 6th November 2023 but be sure to check with the venue or event directly before travelling as information is subject to change. This blog may be updated as we receive further information.
Devon is bursting with Christmas events and activities, from meeting Santa, Christmas shopping or watching the magic of a Christmas light switch on. There is plenty going on in Devon to entertain the whole family. Christmas markets and late night shopping where you can enjoy an assortment of craft stalls, local food and drink and entertainment are becoming more and more popular each year. It shouldn’t be hard to find a Christmas market nearby and its bound to get you in the festive mood.
If you want some Christmas fun, ideas for things to do with the whole family or inspiration on the best markets or last minute shopping locations, we’ve listed events taking place throughout Christmas in Devon. As we find out about more Christmas markets and events during the season, we’ll add to this list so please contact us if you’d like your event to be included.
And if you’re looking to send a loved one a true taste of Devon this year, don’t forget our delicious Christmas Devon food hampers.
Christmas lights switch on throughout Devon
- Thursday 16th November 2023 - Plymouth City Centre Christmas lights switch-on, between 6pm and 6.30pm. Family-friendly entertainment to be enjoyed on stage in the Piazza.
- Friday 18th November 2022 - South Molton Christmas Lights switch-on, South Molton Pannier Market. 2023 Dates & Times to be confirmed once released.
- Friday 18th November 2022 - Broadclyst, Near Exeter. Christmas light switch on and choir singing. 2023 Dates & Times to be confirmed once released.
- Saturday 18th November 2023 - Torquay Christmas lights switch-on. There will be no big celebrity “switch on”, as the lights will appear when each trader switches on their lights. Once lit the lights remain on 24 hours a day for six weeks.
- Saturday 18th November 2023 - Plymouth Barbican lights switch-on. Free activities and entertainment from 12pm to 6pm, with the lights being lit at 5.30pm
- Saturday 25th November 2023 - Dawlish Christmas Lights Switch-on.
- Friday 24th November 2023 - Topsham Christmas lights switch-on from 4.30pm onwards.
- Saturday 26th November, 2022 - Cullompton Christmas festival. From 4pm there are activities and a lantern parade from CCA fields to Fore Street. At 5.30pm the lights will be switched on. 2023 Dates & Times to be confirmed once released.
- Friday 24th November - Saturday 25th November 2023 - Brixham Lanterns, Lights and Luminations. The event was first launched in 2007 and has grown in popularity in recent years. The event has traditionally included a magical lantern parade, an incredible firework display, live music, street entertainment, and a street market.
2023 sees the event grow with the street market to include the whole of Middle Street, but also The Square, and The Strand, as well as both The Old Fish Market and The Quay. As well as the extra areas, we are adding an extra day. The Friday afternoon/evening, which will coincide with Brixham's first late night shopping night.
- Saturday 25th November 2023 - Christmas in Crediton, Christmas lights switch-on. Christmas light switch on at 5pm.
- Saturday 25th November 2023 - Newton Abbot Christmas lights switch-on. There will be daytime events and street food available and Father Christmas will turn on the lights at St Leonard's clock tower at 5.30pm.
- Friday 1st December 2023 - Tavistock Dikensian Evening, lights switch-on at 5.45pm. This year will feature: 'Thawed' Stilt Walkers, Elfic the Juggler, Terrie-Mae McNulty and a Santa Paws Grotto.
- Saturday 2nd December 2023 - Bovey Tracey Christmas lights switch-on. Festivities from 2pm will include a Christmas market and Santa's Grotto.
- Sunday 3rd December 2023 - Clovelly Christmas lights switch-on. Festivities from 3.30pm onwards, including a brass band led procession, carols and fireworks. The Christmas lights around the village and harbour being switched on at 5.30pm. Parking is £10 per car at the visitor centre.
- Sunday 3rd December 2023 - Bideford Christmas lights switch-on (The Quay 12 - 7pm).
- Thursday 30th November 2023 - Barnstaple Christmas lights switch-on. This year the event will coincide with the Christmas Fayre, carol singing and late night shopping. Light switch on will be 6pm.
- 16th November 2023. Exeter Christmas lights switch-on.
Christmas markets, food and craft fairs in Devon
- Saturday 4th November 2023 – Tavistock Warm up to Christmas Market, Tavistock Town Hall 10am-4pm
- Plymouth Winter Wonderland, Central Park. 2023 will see Plymouth's first Winter Wonderland which will run 24th November 2023 - 1st January 2024. It boasts a real Christmas extravaganza including an ice-rink, rides, music arena, Santa's Grotto and festive refreshments. Booking is recommended via their website from October.
- Various dates between 16th November - 16th December - RHS Glow 2023. RHS Garden Rosemoor. A magical lights trail with a range of entertainment, craft fairs and a spectacular fire show. Tickets must be booked in advance.
- Friday 17th November – Sunday 17th December 2023 – Exeter Cathedral Christmas Market - Cathedral Green. Devon's biggest Christmas market with around 100 traders.
- Friday 1st - Sunday 3rd December 2023 - Westpoint Christmas Shopping Fayre - the event boasts a huge range of Christmas gifts, entertainment and celebrity appearances. Adults £5, OAP £4, under 16 Free.
Saturday 9th December 10am - 4pm FREE entry - The Beehive Honiton - Community and Arts Venue, Dowell Street, Honiton, Devon, EX14 1LZOn Saturday 9th December The Beehive is hosting its very own Christmas Craft and Shopping Fayre. Joining us on the day, there will be lots of talented local crafters and independent businesses from in and around Honiton selling their products and gifts. Having hand picked our stool holders, we aim to offer a wide selection of Christmas gift ideas, from arts and crafts to jewellery, homewares and more. It’s the best place to find that locally handmade unique present!
The Christmas Fayre will be open 10am until 4pm. Come and get all your Christmas shopping done in one place. Shop until you drop, then stop and relax with tea and cake or a homemade lunch served in our café. Our café shall be open 10.30am – 3.30pm serving hot drinks, delicious lunches, including, toasted sandwiches, jacket potatoes, cakes and more!We look forward to seeing you on Saturday 9th December, 10am – 4pm.
This Christmas, we’re taking our ‘Love Local’ campaign on the road and bringing a little bit of Greendale to Exeter city centre! From November 30th, you can find us each Thursday during the run-up to Christmas Day (Exeter’s late night shopping evenings), on the fourth floor at John Lewis Exeter, where our Love Local Christmas Market will be showcasing some of the brilliant small, locally-based suppliers and producers we’re proud to stock at Greendale Farm Shop. From artisan-baked bread and exceptional deli produce to coffee, small-batch spirits, hot sauce, luxury chocolates, hand-made gifts and even pet supplies, we guarantee you’ll find something you’ll love, from brands you won’t see on the high street!
Friday 25th - Friday 24th November 2023 - Ilfracombe Christmas Market, with stalls, food vendors, live music and entertainers throughout the street. The Christmas market continues on the 26th & 27th November at the Landmark from 10am-4pm.
Friday 1st - Sunday 3rd December 2023 - Dawlish Christmas Street Market & Festive Fun. The Strand, Dawlish, EX7 9PW.Friday 24th November - Saturday 25th November 2023 - Brixham Christmas Market - part of the Lanterns, Lights & Luminations event.
- Saturday 25th & Sunday 26th November 2023 - Pavilions Teignmouth - Christmas Gift & Craft Fayre. With 40 stalls of crafts and gifts from local makers.
- Saturday 25th November - Sunday 3rd December 2023 10am - 5pm - Torre Abbey, WinterFest Christmas Fair. Gift and craft fair in a traditional setting.
- Saturday 26th & Sunday 27th November 2022 - Ullacombe Farm Christmas Market. Includes a Santa's Selfie Sleigh, Delicious Festive Food & Local Stalls. 2023 Dates & Times to be confirmed once released.
- Thursday 30th November - Sunday 17th December 2023 - Plymouth Christmas Market - City Centre.
- Tuesday 5th, 12th & 19th December 2023 - Totnes Christmas Markets. 3pm - 9pm. Entertainment, food, drink & artisan shopping.
- Friday 1st December, 2023- Dickensian Evening, Tavistock. To include a range of family-friendly entertainment from 5pm as well as festive stalls.
- Friday 1st December - Sunday 3rd December 2023 - The Great Hall Winter Craft Fair, Dartington Hall. Over 50 stalls offering a range of contemporary craft & design.
- 3rd-4th, 10th-11th, 17th-18th December - Christmas shopping weekends at The Shops at Dartington. Throughout December there will be live entertainment and kids crafts alongside a range of Christmas gifts to purchase and food tastings to enjoy. 2023 Dates & Times to be confirmed once released.
- Saturday 2nd December 2023, 10am to 4pm - Newton Abbot Christmas Fayre, Newton Abbot Racecourse. Local Christmas produce, reinpony rides and an inflatable snow globe. Activities are an additional charge.
- Saturday 2nd December 2023 - Kingsbridge Celebrates Christmas. Farmers market, stalls and carol singing.
- Saturday 2nd December 2023, From 2pm - Bovey Tracey Christmas Market, Fore Street, where there will be stalls, the choir, bar and caterers.
- Saturday 2nd December 2023 - Newton Abbot Good Food Sunday Christmas Fair, Newton Abbot Racecourse.
- Sunday 4th December 2022 - Tiverton Annual Christmas Craft & Gift Fair. Tiverton Pannier Market. 2023 Dates & Times to be confirmed once released.
- From Sunday 3rd December 2023 - Markets at Royal William Yard, Plymouth. Markets on Sundays and Wednesdays and late-night shopping.
- Thursday 7th December, 2023 - Chudleigh Fair and Late Night Christmas Shopping.
- Friday 9th - Sunday 18th December 2022 - Connaught Christmas, held at Sidmouth Connaught Gardens. Creative light displays, local crafts & food. Ticketed event. 2023 Dates & Times to be confirmed once released.
- Friday 8th December - Bicton Park Botanical Gardens, Late Night Shopping & Craft Fair.
- TBC - The Donkey Sanctuary, Sidmouth - Festive Fair.
- TBC - Moretonhampstead Winter Market. A festive local market full of beautiful wares by local Dartmoor artisans and businesses.
Other Christmas events in Devon during winter
- Monday 27th November - Sunday 31st December 2023 (excluding some dates) - Powderham Castle, Christmas at the Castle. Includes a Christmas lights trail, state room experience & petting zoo.
- Friday 17th November 2023 - Tuesday 2nd January 2024 - Introducing Paignton Zoo’s biggest ever festive event… GloWild is an after-dark immersive light experience that will transport you to a magical world. See Paignton Zoo like you’ve never seen it before, with giant illuminated animals, light tunnels, a silent disco and much more. Will you spot the frogs leaping overhead, the gigantic butterfly or perhaps the colourful chameleon? Be dazzled by the majestic GloWolf on his journey around this enchanted light trail, and chat to Paignton Zoo's founder Herbert Whitley as he makes an extra special appearance 100 years since he first opened the zoo gates. Also indulge in some festive treats at the ‘Food Village’ and listen to live music in the restaurant. Booking is essential via their website www.paigntonzoo.org.uk
- Dates throughout November & December 2023 - Seaton Tramway Polar Express. A 'West-end production on rails' including a visit to Santa.
- 24th November - 30th December 2023 - Train of Lights, Dartmouth Steam Railway. A journey from Paignton to Kingswear, taking in the spectacular light displays.
- Dates throughout November & December 2023 - Christmas at Pennywell Farm. Includes a Nativity, Christmas activities and visit to Father Christmas.
- No information for 2023 as yet (TBC) - Candlelit Dartmouth.
Late night shopping in Devon this season
- Thursday 16th November - Thursday 21st December 2023 - Exeter Late Night Shopping. Until 9pm.
- Thursdays from 16th November 2023 - Plymouth Late Night Shopping.
- Tuesdays 5th, 12th, 19th December 2023 - Totnes Late Night Shopping. 3pm - 9pm.